Exercise 1 (Page 159): Review questions
1. Who were Ja’far’s father, uncle, brothers and cousin according to the story?
1. Abu Talib was Ja’far’s father and Al-Abbas was his uncle. His brothers were Aqeel and Ali. His cousin was Prophet Muhammad(Peace be upon him).
2. Who was the person who encouraged Ja’far to accept Islam?
Ja’far accepted Islam under Abu Bakr as-Siddeeq’s guidance.
3. Why did Ja’far migrate from Makkah to Abyssinia?
The Quraysh created obstacles in their way of fulfilling their acts of worship. They also went to the extent of mercilessly torturing the Muslims. Therefore, Ja’far sought permission from the Prophet (Peace be upon him) to migrate to Abyssinia.
4. What did Quraysh do when they learned about the migration of Muslims to Abyssinia? Who executed their plan?
They planned to bring the Muslims back to Makkah. They sent Amr ibn Al-Aas and Abdullah ibn Abi Rabiah with valuable gifts for King Negus and his bishops.
5. What was the strategy of the Quraysh’s delegation to get the Muslims back to Makkah?
The two men first presented the gifts to the bishops and told them that few wicked people have taken refuge in the country; therefore, the bishops should help them by advising the king to send the Muslims back with them. Then they told the king that these people have left their forefather’s religion and are following a religion unknown to them as well the king.
6. Who was the King of Abyssinia? Was he fair? Why or why not?
King Negus or An-Najashi was the ruler of Abyssinia. He was a wise and a fair ruler. The King wanted to meet the Muslims before making a decision of returning them to the two men. This showed that he was a just ruler.
7. List five points that describe Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) and his message which Ja’far mentioned in his speech.
Worship one God, speak the truth, honor promises, be kind to relatives, and give charity.
8. What was Amr’s trick to cause the king to change his positive opinion of the Muslims?
Negus was a Christian, so Amr told him that the Muslims say that Jesus is a slave. He told the king to ask the Muslims about this matter.
9. What was the most important point that caught the attention of the king? And how did Ja’far handle the king’s question?
The description of Jesus, the son of Maryam, was the important point that caught the king’s attention. Jafar boldly faced the king’s question and recited the verses of Surah Maryam which eventually led the king to announce the truthfulness of Islam.
10. When did Ja’far return to Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) in Madinah?
Ja’far returned to Madinah in the 7th year of the Hijrah.
11. What was Ja’far famous for in Madinah?
He was nicknamed ‘father of the poor’. He was very generous towards the poor and needy people.
12. What was the King’s religion when he died? And what did the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) do after his death?
He was a Muslim. The Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) prayed his funeral prayer along with the Muslims in Madinah.