1. Answer the following questions:
1. Why should we feel scared when reading a description of Hellfire and Judgement Day? What should we say when we read that?
It reminds us to be careful about our deeds as we will be asked about each and everything we do in this world. We should seek refuge in Allah from the Hell fire.
2. Why is it recommended to have wudoo when reading the Qur’an?
Allah told us that only the pure ones should touch the Qur’an.
3. What is the benefit of learning the Arabic language?
Learning Arabic language enables us to understand and follow it in our life.
4. What would help you to reflect and experience tadabbur when you recite the Qur’an?
We should try to understand the meanings of the verses and then write down the lessons that we have learned from the Qur’an and think about the actions to be taken.
5. Define the following words:
1. At-Tadabbur: It means reflection and deep understanding of the Qur’an.
2. Al Isti’aathah: It is to seek refuge in Allah from the cursed shaytaan by saying ‘Aoozu bil-laahi minash shaytaanir rajeem.
3. Al Basmalah: It is to start with the name of Allah by saying ‘Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem’.
4. Khushoo: It means having a humble heart and attentive mind while reciting the Qur’an.
5. Ahkamut Tajweed: It means rules of reciting the verses of the Qur’an. It is to pronounce the Quranic words properly and correctly.
6. Taharah: It means cleanliness and purification.
7. Tarteel: It means to recite the Qur’an in a slow, moderate and beautiful voice following the rules of Tajweed.
2. Answer each question by providing the translation of the related ayah or hadeeth:
1. Reading the Qur’an without fulfilling all that Allah asks us is wrong.
“Recite Al Qur’an according to the rules of recitation”.
2. What should be said before reciting the Qur’an?
“A’oozu bil-laahi Minash Shaytaanir Rajeem. I seek protection in Allah from the cursed devil”.
3. Shaytaan tries to distract us when we read Qur’an or anything else, what does Allah say about this issue in the Qur’an?
“So when you recite the Qur’an, seek refuge with Allah from the accursed shaytaan. Surely he has no authority over those who believe and rely on their Lord”.
4. What does Allah say about the people who reject the Qur’an?
“Don’t they reflect on the Qur’an? Or, are their hearts locked?”
3. Describe the following actions as respectful or disrespectful of the Qur’an:
1. Ahmed did not read the Qur’an for a week.
2. Zayd was reciting the Qur’an while peaking at the television.
3. Sana liked an ayah she recited so she quickly wrote it down in her notebook.
4. Maryam carried the Mushaf to the washroom.
5. Abdullah removed the copy of the Qur’an (Mushaf) from the passenger seat in his dad’s car and put it in the glove compartment.
6. Jameelah found a paper on the floor on which some verses of the Qur’an were written and did not bother to pick and keep it at a safe place.