1. Why is committing a kabeerah a dangerous behaviour?
Committing a kabeerah harms one’s faith, erodes trust, spoils reputations, fosters hatred and creates mistrust in a person as well as the society he lives in.
2. What is the difference between gheebah and nameemah?
While both are among the kabeerah, gheebah is to backbite in that one mentions about a Muslim in any way that is hurtful or disliked by him even if the matter is true. Nameemah is to indulge in gossiping which spreads distrust and disrespect within the community. Lie and falsehood form a part of nameemah.
3. What is the Islamic rule on gheebah? Support your answer with an ayah, and a hadeeth.
وَلا يَغْتَبْ بَعْضُكُمْ بَعْضًا أَيُحِبُّ أَحَدُكُمْ أَنْ يَأْكُلَ لَحْمَ أَخِيهِ مَيْتًا
“And do not let some of you backbite others. Does one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother?” (49: 12)
About gheebah, Rasoolullah said that it is “to mention about your brother in any way that is hurtful or disliked by him”.
4. What is the Islamic rule on nameemah? Support your answer with an ayah and a hadeeth.
وَلا تُطِعْ كُلَّ حَلافٍ مَهِينٍ
هَمَّازٍ مَشَّاءٍ بِنَمِيم
“And do not obey any worthless person who swears or lies; He is always insulting people, going around spreading rumours and gossip” (68: 11-12)
Rasoolullah said, “A person who spreads gossip will not enter Paradise”.
5. “Compromising one’s religion is dangerous behaviour”. Explain Allah’s and the Prophet’s guidance on this.
Allah says, “Do not listen to the disbelievers. They would love it if you compromise (your religion) and they compromise (theirs)”. According to this ayah, a Muslim must hold strong to his or her faith and not leave it all. Allah only accepts Islam as His true and final religion. Rasoolullah and his companions did not give in at any cost either to relax or to compromise on religion. They would rather face torture and trouble than willing to compromise on one’s religion!
6. Can someone add new worship or ritual to Islam? Why or why not?
This is strictly not allowed in Islam. Islam is a complete religion. It doesn’t need any addition nor any deletion. Rasoolullah said, “He who innovates something in matters of our religion that is not of it, will have it rejected”.