1. Why did Allah name this Surah “Al Qalam”?
It is to reveal the importance of Pen and writing. And Allah knows best.
2. Why did the disbelievers name-call the Prophet and claim he was crazy?
The Prophet was calling people towards the worship of Allah and the belief in the Hereafter. The disbelievers could not find any fault with the Qur’an. Since they were bent on denying the truthful message of the Qur’an, they labelled the Prophet as being crazy.
3. The word “khuluq” in ayah 4 includes many meanings embedded in it. Infer the most important akhlaq, or manners, that were found in the character of Prophet Muhammad.
Truthfulness, honesty, integrity and well behaviour were the most important aspects of the character of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
4. What was the first thing Allah created? And what did He order it to do?
First there was only Allah in the empty space with nothing. Second, Allah created water with His throne above the water. Third, Allah created the pen and the preserved tablet, and ordered it to write everything that will happen until the Day of Judgement.
5. What were some of the slanders the disbelievers used to spread about the Prophet?
That he was mad and behaving in a crazy manner.
6. In what way does Allah praise Prophet Muhammad in the beginning of this Surah?
Allah said: وَإِنَّكَ لَعَلى خُلُقٍ عَظِيمٍ
“(O Muhammad!) Certainly you have a great character”. (68: 4)
7. What was one of the main missions of Prophet Muhammad? Support your answer with a hadeeth.
إنما بعثت لأتمم مكارم الأخلاق
“I was only sent to complete the best manners and moral character”.
8. “Having a good character is very important in Islam”. Write if you agree or disagree with the statement. Support you answer with ayaat and ahadeeth.
Given the nature of Islam, there is no question of disagreeing on this matter. Good character is an essential part of one’s faith.
Rasoolullah said, “There is nothing heavier on the scale of the believer on the Day of Judgement than good character, and Allah hates the bad mannered, vulgar person”.
In the Qur’an, wherever Allah mentions about eemaan, He immediately mentions about amilus saalihaat also. This suffices to say that having good character is an integral part of a Muslim’s faith.