1. In Arabic, Taraweeh means ‘to relax in short rests’. Why do you think we call the night prayers of Ramadan Salat-ut-Taraweeh?
This is because we take a short break after every two Rak’aat.
2. How was the Prophet considerate of his followers? Why were his actions wise?
* He was considerate as he did not pray Taraweeh in Jama’ah every night.
* His actions were wise because he knew if he prayed with them every night Muslims would then take Taraweeh as compulsory.
3. What is the difference between Salat-ut-Taraweeh and Qiyam-ul-Layl?
1. Prayed right after Ishaa prayer
2. Has definite number of Rak’aats (8 or 20)
3. Prayed only in Ramadan
1. Prayed in the middle of the night or before Fajr.
2. No definite number of Rak’ahs
3. Prayed in Ramadan and in other months as well.
4. What is Salat-ut-Taraweeh?
These are special prayers offered in the month of Ramadan.
5. Is it Fardh (compulsory) or Sunnah (encouraged)?
It is Sunnah.
6. How and when does a person pray Taraweeh?
* It is prayed in the units of Two Rak’aats.
* It can be prayed as 8 or 20 Rak’aats.
* It is prayed right after Ishaa prayer, and before Witr prayer.
7. Why is it good to pray Taraweeh?
As all our past sins will be forgiven, it is good for us to pray Taraweeh in all the nights of Ramadan.