NOTE: You must learn the verses 1 to 16 by heart and know its meaning thoroughly
Write the meaning of the following words:
1. عَبَسَ – He frowned
2. الأعْمَى – the blind
3. يَزَّكَّى – purity
4. الذِّكْرَى – the reminder
5. اسْتَغْنَى – self-sufficient
6. تَصَدَّى – to give attention
7. يَسْعَى – comes running, eagerly
8. يَخْشَى – fears
9. عَنْهُ تَلَهَّى – far from being attentive
10. ذَكَرَهُ – remember it, remember the Qur’an
11. مُكَرَّمَةٍ – honoured
12. مَرْفُوعَةٍ – kept high
13. مُطَهَّرَةٍ – pure
14. سَفَرَةٍ – scribes
15. كِرَامٍ بَرَرَةٍ- noble and pious, honoured and holy
Answer the following questions:
1. Why did the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) ‘frowned and turned away’?
The Prophet ‘frowned and turned away’ because the blind came to him interrupting the conversation which he was having with some of the influential men of Makkah.
2. Who was the blind man who came to the Prophet (Peace be upon him)?
The blind man who came to the Prophet was Abdullah ibn Umm Maktoum (Radhi-Allahu-Anhu)
3. Who were the people about whom Allah tells the Prophet that they ‘are not in want of anything’? They were among the leaders of Quraysh, a famous tribe of Makkah.
4. What do you mean by ‘although you will not be blamed if he does not purify himself’?
It means that the Prophet (peace be upon him) will not be taken to task if the people do not heed to the call of Islam.
5. ‘The Qur’an is a Reminder’. Explain briefly.
It means that the purpose of Qur’an is to remind people of the duty towards their Creator and Cherisher, and towards the fellow human beings.
6. ‘So let him who wants to remember it (do so)’. Explain.
This verse gives man the freedom to believe in Allah and be conscious of Him, or to deny Allah and live a life of rebellion. Since one can make or mar one’s own destiny, one should be prepared to face the consequences of one’s own choice.
7. What is the meaning of ‘it is on honoured pages, kept high and pure’?
The Qur’an is a Word of Allah. It is noble, sacred and glorious. It is holy, free from all corruption and impurities. Its teachings are of a very high standard.
8. Who are those ‘who are noble and pious’?
They are the noble and respected Angels of Allah.