بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ
أَرَأَيْتَ الَّذِي يُكَذِّبُ بِالدِّينِ (١)
فَذَلِكَ الَّذِي يَدُعُّ الْيَتِيمَ (٢)
وَلا يَحُضُّ عَلَى طَعَامِ الْمِسْكِينِ (٣)
فَوَيْلٌ لِلْمُصَلِّينَ (٤)
الَّذِينَ هُمْ عَنْ صَلاتِهِمْ سَاهُونَ (٥)
الَّذِينَ هُمْ يُرَاءُونَ (٦)
وَيَمْنَعُونَ الْمَاعُونَ (٧)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
- Have you seen the one who denies the Religion?
- The one who pushes the orphans aside,
- And does not encourage the feeding of the poor,
- Oh, wretched are the worshippers,
- Who are forgetful of their Prayers!
- The ones who show off (in prayers)
- But refuse simple acts of kindness.
Vocabulary and Meanings:
1. أَرَأَيْتَ – have you seen?
2. يُكَذِّبُ – denies
3. يَدُعُّ – pushes aside, be harsh on
4. الْيَتِيمَ – the orphan
5. يَحُضُّ – encourages, motivates
6. طَعَامِ – feeding
7. الْمِسْكِينِ – the poor, the have-nots
8. لِلْمُصَلِّينَ – for the worshippers, those who offer Salah
9. صَلاتِهِمْ – their prayers
10. سَاهُونَ – forgetful, neglecting
11. يُرَاءُونَ – they show off
12. الْمَاعُونَ – simple acts of kindness
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:
1. According to this Surah, who is the one who denies the Religion?
According to this Surah, the one who ill-treats the orphans and does not encourage the feeding of the poor is the one who denies the Religion.
2. What is referred to as ‘ad-deen’?
‘ad-deen’ is referred to the Deenul Islam, the religion of Islam.
3. What is meant by ‘pushing the orphans aside’?
It means ill-treating the orphans, denying their rights, not being kind to them.
4. “And does not encourage the feeding of the poor”. Explain briefly.
Here Allah is referring to the attitude of hypocrites by telling that they ‘do not encourage the feeding of the poor’. It means neither do they feed the poor nor do they motivate others to feed the poor and the needy.
5. Why Allah is condemning the worshippers?
Allah is condemning the worshippers because of three reasons:
1. Being forgetful of their Salah
2. Offering Salah to show off
3. Refusing simple acts of kindness.
6. Is showing off in prayers acceptable to Allah? Why?
No, praying to show off is not at all acceptable to Allah. This is because praying to show off is to commit Shirk, which is an unpardonable sin in Islam.
7. What is meant by ‘refusing simple acts of kindness’?
It means that some people are so greedy of wealth, so selfish and so stingy and miserly that they even refuse to consider simple acts of kindness to others. For example, refusing to help one’s classmate when he/she asks for pen or pencil. This is generally the character of those who pretend to be good.