LUQMAN’S ADVICE TO HIS SON
Vocabulary and Meanings:
1. يَعِظُهُ – he counseled him
2. يَا بُنَيَّ O my son!
3. لَظُلْمٌ – wrong, injustice
4. عَظِيمٌ mighty
5. الإنْسَانَ – man
6. أُمُّهُ – his mother
7. وَهْنًا – weakness, pain
8. عَامَيْنِ – two years
9. اشْكُرْ- be grateful
10. فَلا تُطِعْهُمَا – then don’t obey them
11. مَعْرُوفًا – good, kindness
12. حَبَّةٍ – grain, seed
13. صَخْرَةٍ – rock
14. لَطِيفٌ – Perceptive
15. أَقِمِ الصَّلاةَ establish prayers
16. وَأْمُرْ بِالْمَعْرُوف – and enjoin what is right
17. وَانْهَ عَنِ الْمُنْكَرِ – and forbid what is wrong
18. خَدَّكَ – your cheek
19. وَلا تَمْشِ – and walk not
20. مَرَحًا – arrogantly, haughtily
21. وَاقْصِدْ – and be moderate
22. وَاغْضُضْ – and lower, reduce
23. صَوْتِكَ – your voice
24. الأصْوَاتِ – the voices
25. الْحَمِيرِ – the donkey
Questions and Answers:
1. What is ‘Shirk’?
Associating others with Allah and ascribing partners to Him is called Shirk. It is the mightiest of wrongs!
2. What advice did Luqman give his son regarding Shirk?
Luqman advised his son not to associate anyone with Allah, for associating others with Allah is indeed a mighty wrong.
3. According to this Surah, who in the world enjoy greatest respect and obedience among mankind? Parents, particularly mothers, enjoy greatest respect and obedience among mankind.
4. What is the virtue of a mother as mentioned in the above quoted verses?
In the above quoted verses, Allah recalls the difficulties faced by a mother while carrying the baby in her womb and the hardship she faces during the weaning period and, therefore, enjoins upon man to be grateful to one’s mother.
5. Under what circumstances are children allowed to disobey their parents?
If one’s parents tell or compel the children to commit Shirk, that is to associate others with Allah, then the son or the daughter is allowed to disobey the parents.
6. Allah is Perceptive and Aware of all things. To emphasize this point, what example did Luqman give to his son?
Luqman gave the example of a mustard seed telling his son, “O my son! Whatever it may be, even though equal to a mustard seed in weight, or within a rock or in the sky or in the earth, Allah will bring it forth”.
7. What are the acts of courage as mentioned by Luqman?
The acts of courage as mentioned by Luqman are: 1. Offering Salah perfectly 2. Enjoining the doing of what is right 3. Forbidding the doing of what is wrong 4. Bearing whatever befalls in one’s life with patience and steadfastness.
8. What types of people Allah does not like?
Allah does not like the people who are proud and boastful, who turn their cheek away from people in scorn and who walk haughtily on earth.
9. What simile is mentioned to drive home the importance of being modest in talking?
The simile that is mentioned to drive home the importance of being modest while talking is that of a donkey: Surely the most repulsive voice is the voice of the donkey!
10. List out the Advices of Luqman to his son:
1. Do not associate others with Allah
2. Be kind and respectful to your parents
3. Be grateful to Allah and your parents
4. Be conscious of Allah. Know that He is well aware of all things.
5. Offer prayers perfectly
6. Enjoin the doing of what is right
7. Forbid the doing of what is wrong
8. Have patience and adopt steadfastness in whatever befalls you
9. Don’t be arrogant, haughty & boastful
10. Walk modestly
11. Lower your voice. Know that the worst of all voices is the voice of a donkey!