Note: Refer your Text Book for the Arabic verses and the English translation
1. Write the meaning of the following words:
– woeوَيْلٌ 1.
those who give less المُطَفِّفِينَ 2.
– measureاكْتَالُوا 3.
– take in fullيَسْتَوْفُونَ 4.
– weightوزن 5.
– thinkيَظُنُّ 7.
– resurrected مَّبْعُوثُونَ 8.
– great/tremendousعَظِيمٍ 9.
– will standيَقوم 10.
– noكَلاَّ 11.
– the wicked onesالْفُجَّارِ 12.
– inلَفِى 13.
– (eternal) prison سِجِّينٍ 14.
– inscribedمَّرْقُومٌ 15.
2. Question & Answers:
1. Highlight the main points mentioned in the first nine verses of Surah Al Mutaffifeen?
The beginning verses of this Surah refer to commercial dealings and it condemns all kinds of fraud in business. The Surah says that such people opt for a short-time happiness of this world and forget the eternal happiness of the Hereafter. They don’t care about the Day of Judgement, a Great Day, in which dead will be raised and brought before the Lord of the worlds. The wicked people cannot escape the punishment because their deeds are well-recorded in a book called ‘Sijjeen’.
2. What is meant by ‘woe to al-mutaffifeen’?
It is an open condemnation from Almighty Allah of all those people who deal in fraud while doing business. It also signifies a Promise from Allah that the mutaffifeen will be punished severely in the Day of Judgement where they will face ultimate loss and destruction!
3. Describe the nature of the people called ‘mutaffifeen’.
The word ‘mutaffifeen’ comes from the word ‘tatfeef’ which means ‘to be stingy in measurement and weight’. Allah describes that these mutaffifeen are those people who, when they have to receive by measure or weight from others, demand in full measure. But they when they have to give by measure or weight to others, give less than what is due. Their intention is to make profit by cheating the customers in a way that the poor customer does not even know of what and of how much he is being deprived by the seller.
4. Bring out the relationship between honesty in commercial dealings and the belief in the Hereafter.
Those who indulge in fraud in their commercial dealings mean only one thing, which is Profit and making more and more money. It is an inevitable result of the heedlessness of the Hereafter.
Unless the people realise that one day they would have to appear before their Lord and account for their worldly business dealings even, it is not possible that they would adopt piety and righteousness in their business dealings. Man can develop true and enduring honesty only when he fears Allah and His punishment in the Hereafter.
5. What is the name of the book in which the deeds of the wicked people are recorded?
The name of the book in which the deeds of the wicked people are recorded and preserved is SIJ’JEEN.