Answer these questions:
1. When did the Holy Book begin to be sent to our Holy Prophet?
Allah began sending down the Qur’an upon Prophet Muhammad when he was forty years old.
2. Where was the Messenger of Allah staying when the first verses of the Qur’an were sent?
The Messenger of Allah was staying in the Cave of Hira in Makkah when the first verses of the Qur’an were sent.
3. Which Surah began to be sent down first?
First five verses of Surah Al Alaq began to be sent down first.
4. What was the name of the angel who brought the Word of Allah to our Prophet?
The name of the angel who brought the Word of Allah to our Prophet was Angel Jibreel.
5. What is the subject of the Qur’an? What is its purpose?
The subject of the Qur’an is man. Its purpose is to guide man, lead him out of the darkness of evil into the light of truth.
6. How many years did the Holy Book take to be completed?
The Holy Qur’an was completed over a period of nearly 23 years.
7. What was the effect on people around, when Abu Bakr recited the Qur’an?
The women and children would gather around him, looking and marveling at him.
8. What has our Prophet said about the virtues of the Surah al Fatihah?
Our Prophet said that ‘there is a cure for every disease in Surah Al Fatihah’.
9. What did the Messenger of Allah tell the man, who said he had a liking for the Surah al Ikhlas?
He told him that ‘his liking that Surah would take him to Paradise’.
B. Besides Qur’an, by what other names does the Holy Book call itself?
Some of the other names of the Qur’an are:
1. Kalam Allah – The Word of Allah
2. Al Furqan – The Distinguisher between Truth and Falsehood
3. Al Kitab – The Book
4. Al Qur’an al Majid – The Glorious Qur’an
5. Al Qur’an al Hakim – The Qur’an, full of wisdom