Surah al Masad (Palm Fibre)
بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ
تَبَّتْ يَدَا أَبِي لَهَبٍ وَتَبَّ (١)
مَا أَغْنَى عَنْهُ مَالُهُ وَمَا كَسَبَ (٢)
سَيَصْلَى نَارًا ذَاتَ لَهَبٍ (٣)
وَامْرَأَتُهُ حَمَّالَةَ الْحَطَبِ (٤)
فِي جِيدِهَا حَبْلٌ مِنْ مَسَدٍ (٥)
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
- Perish the hands of Abu Lahab; and perish he!
- His wealth and his children will not benefit him.
- He will be pushed down into the fire of blazing flame.
- And his wife, the wood-carrier.
- Will have a rope of palm fibre around her neck.
I. Write the meanings of:
1. تَبَّتْ – Perish
2. يَدَا – hands
3. مَا أَغْنَى – will not benefit him
4. مَالُهُ – his wealth
5. كَسَبَ – children
6. سَيَصْلَى – will be pushed down
7. نَارًا – fire
8. وَ – and
9. امْرَأَتُه – his wife
10. الْحَطَبِ – wood
11. جِيدِهَا – her neck
12. حَبْلٌ – rope
13. مَسَدٍ – palm fibre
II. Answer the following questions:
1. Where was Surah Al Masad revealed to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)?
Surah Al Masad was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) in Makkah.
2. Who was Abu Lahab?
Abu Lahab was an uncle of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). He was one of the bitter enemies of Islam. He and his people used to persecute the Muslims of Makkah for having embraced Islam
3. What is the theme of the Surah al Masad?
This Surah tells about the miserable end of Abu Lahab and his wife. Both of them will be thrown into the Hellfire and none will come to their rescue.
4. What is the wife of Abu Lahab described as in this Surah?
She is described as ‘the carrier of firewood’.
5. What will the wife of Abu Lahab have around her neck in the Hell?
She will have a rope of palm fibre around her neck.
6. What does Allah wants to tell to the people of this world through the example of Abu Lahab?
Allah wants to tell to the people of this world that those who trouble and torment His true servants will have to meet the same end as that of Abu Lahab and his wife.
III. Learn this Surah by heart.