(For Arabic Text and English Translation of the Surah, refer the prescribed Text Book)
1. Give meanings of the following words:
1. سَبِّحِ – Glorify
2. اسْمَ – name
3. رَبِّكَ – your Lord, your Sustainer
4. الأعْلَى – the Most High
5. خَلَقَ – He created
6. فَسَوَّى – then shapes
7. قَدَّرَ – measures
8. فَهَدَى – guides
9. أَخْرَجَ – brings forth
10. الْمَرْعَى – herbage
11. أَحْوَى – dried
12. فَلا تَنْسَى – then you wont forget
13. مَا شَاءَ اللَّهُ – what Allah wills
14. لِلْيُسْرَى – to easy path
15. َذَكِّرْ – remind
16. يَخْشَى – fears
17. الأشْقَى – the unfortunate
18. النَّارَ – the fire
19. يَمُوتُ – die
20. يَحْيَا – live, alive
21. أَفْلَحَ – successful
22. تَزَكَّى – purifies himself
23. رَبِّهِ – his Lord, Sustainer
24. تُؤْثِرُونَ – you prefer
25. خَيْرٌ – better
26. الْحَيَاةَ الدُّنْيَا – the life of this world
2. Answer the following questions:
1. Why should we glorify the name of our Lord, our Sustainer?
We should glorify the name of our Lord, our Sustainer because He is our Creator, Nourisher and Cherisher.
2. “We shall make you recite the Qur’an and you shall not forget”. Whom this verse is addressed to?
This verse is addressed directly to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
3. What is meant by “surely He knows what is said openly and what is hidden”?
It means Allah knows everything, whether it is open or hidden.
4. “And we will make easy for you the easy path”. Explain.
Allah assures Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) that He will make the path of Islam easy to follow. And it is a fact that Islam is simple and easy to practice.
5. According to this Surah, who will benefit out of the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)?
The one who fears Allah will be benefited out of the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him).
6. Who is the most successful person in the sight of Allah?
The one who purifies himself, the one who remembers the name of Allah and offers prayers (Salah) is the most successful person in the sight of Allah.
7. In comparison to this world, what is declared as ‘better and abiding’? In comparison to this world, Allah says that the life to come, in the Hereafter, is better and abiding.
8. By declaring that the life to come is better and abiding, what message does this Surah conveys to us? Allah wants us to be conscious of our deeds in this world and do only those deeds that would ensure a better life in the Hereafter.